What if I Do Not Want Child Custody in Georgia?

Child custody is often a point of contention during divorces in Georgia, but this does not always have to be the case. In many cases, parents may be perfectly fine with letting their spouse take primary custody of the child. They may be unprepared to deal with the responsibilities, or perhaps they feel that they may have a bad influence on the child. Whatever the case may be, it is important to understand how to approach this situation from a legal perspective. 

Dealing with virtually all matters related to child custody becomes much easier when you have the help of a qualified, experienced divorce attorney in Georgia. Choose an attorney who specializes in child custody, and you will have a much better chance of resolving this situation without any major issues. 

Developing a Child Custody Agreement With Your Spouse

You and your spouse are allowed to develop your own child custody agreement outside of court. If both spouses agree that only one parent should get primary custody of the child, then there is no need to go through a prolonged legal battle in court. All you would need to do is create a written child custody agreement with a number of provisions on which both parties agree. 

With all this said, it is important to get help from a legal expert as you draft this agreement. Your agreement has to adhere to a number of rules, and it must stand up to the scrutiny of a judge. With the help of a divorce attorney, you and your spouse can ensure that you are “ticking all of the boxes” before you present your agreement to a judge. 

Can You Refuse to See Your Child?

If you want nothing to do with your child’s life, you are technically within your rights to stop seeing them altogether. While it’s true that courts in Georgia can force people to do things, they cannot really force a parent to want to see their child. With all that said, the state of Georgia recognizes the importance of two parents being an active influence in a child’s life, and they will probably try to encourage visits between the child and the non-custodial parents. Furthermore, your visitation rights will be protected (if you do want to exercise them) even if the child does not want to see you. In the end, it all comes down to the exact wording of the child custody agreement you signed with your former spouse. 

If You No Longer Want to be the Primary Parent

If you no longer want to be the primary parent of your child, you can modify your child custody agreement and give custody to someone else. While it is technically possible to give custody to someone other than your former spouse, courts will generally give preference to the child’s parent. Modifying your child custody agreement can also be an arduous legal process. 

Enlist the Help of a Qualified Attorney Today

If you are looking for an attorney who can help you with matters related to child custody, reach out to Lankford & Moore Law today. We will help you resolve this situation in the most efficient way possible.

I realized the true function of a lawyer was to unite parties riven asunder. The lesson was so indelibly burnt into me that a large part of my time during the twenty years of my practice as a lawyer was occupied in bringing about private compromises of hundreds of cases. I lost nothing thereby — not even money, certainly not my soul.

Mahatma Gandhi

Lankford & Moore Law in Downtown Lawrenceville

Join Our Satisfied Clients

Copyright © 2022 Lankford & Moore Law
Disclaimer: This website is for informational purposes only and the use thereof does not create an attorney-client relationship. The choice of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements.

Your Problem Is Almost Solved!

Conquering Your Legal Problem... 90%